Paper & Packaging
L.E.K. Consulting is the leading global advisor to the packaging sector, with hundreds of projects completed around the world. We understand the packaging market across the entire value chain, from raw material suppliers and compounders to equipment suppliers to form, fill and seal suppliers to converters to brand owners, etc., and are an ideal partner for companies seeking to grow or invest successfully in this sector.
We have broad packaging experience working for leaders in the sector. We help clients around the globe grow and invest successfully in the sector, focusing on M&A support services, growth strategy development, post-merger integration, operational improvement and market evaluation work. For example, we help clients develop customized strategies that increase share and capitalize on new markets and market segments.
Our deep expertise is shaped by our extensive project portfolio across the full spectrum of packaging sectors, including:
- Primary and secondary packaging
- Rigid and flexible packaging
- Substrates (plastic, paper, metal, glass, etc.) and recycled/sustainable packaging substrates (PLA, degradable molded fiber, etc.)
- Packaging products (caps and closures, labels, bottles, pouches, induction seals, etc.)
- Equipment (form, fill and seal equipment, injection molding, blow molding, thermoforming, extrusion, lamination equipment, hot runners, molds, consumable products, etc.)
- Value chain participants (raw material suppliers, graphic designers, printers, etc.)
- Packaging used in specific end markets (medical device packaging, pharmaceutical packaging, personal care packaging, cosmetics packaging, etc.)
Key questions and challenges
Our experienced professionals have a deep understanding of key issues faced by our clients, for example:
- What are key strategic packaging trends affecting specific sectors, and how can we take advantage of these trends to increase growth and profitability?
- How is the value chain changing, and what are the implications for channel participants?
- What are attractive sectors to invest in (e.g., where is there material conversion, where is innovation driving margin, what geographies/sectors have attractive demand characteristics)?
Examples of our work
L.E.K. is committed to providing our clients with insightful, meaningful and actionable results. We back up our recommendations with rigorous analysis and have a highly collaborative work style. Read the stories below to learn how we’ve helped clients realize their objectives:
- We identified the most attractive end market and product segments for our client’s entry into the flexible packaging sector based on market dynamics and fit with existing capabilities. Our assessment of the risk and return of each entry strategy option enabled our client to determine the best path forward.
- L.E.K. developed a detailed fact base around the underlying beverage packaging market in an emerging market. We identified attractive segments in high-end flexible and rigid packaging, which currently represents a $700 million opportunity for our client. The client is currently pursuing the identified opportunities.
- A leading U.S. packaging company made significant reductions in its sales force and supporting processes during a recent downturn, and found its sales lagging competitors’ as the market recovered. L.E.K. developed a plan to help the client increase sales rep selling time, improve win rates and ultimately drive sustainable sales force improvements. Working with our client, we also developed a detailed implementation plan to support execution and change management.
- We assessed the commercial attractiveness of one of the largest manufacturers of hot runner systems and components, focusing on the U.S., China and Europe regions. Our assessment of the target company’s revenue projections and share gains helped our client assess the value of the business.