Renewable energy holds a promising future for those organizations able to capitalize on the opportunities it presents while managing the risks associated with a rapidly developing market.
Key challenges and questions include:
- What is the scale of the market opportunity for specific renewable technologies?
- What is the likely impact of regulation on supply and demand in certain markets?
- How do we develop a market entry strategy that will deliver profitability within an accelerated time frame?
- How can we stimulate the market through innovative regulation?
How We Help
L.E.K. helps clients across the spectrum of power generators, investors, resource owners, utilities and public-sector bodies as they develop and implement a clear and cohesive approach to the complex relationships between consumer demand, regulation, technology, funding and carbon fuel availability.
We bring a unique combination of analysis and insight to the renewables sector (biomass, geothermal, hydro, solar, syngas/hydrogen, tidal and wave, wind), leveraging experience gained from pioneering studies in technology commercialization, renewables policies and regulation.
Examples of Our Work
To learn more about how we help our clients, please refer to these case examples:
- A sugar beet processing plant operator, seeking to evaluate the opportunity of building a biomass plant, asked L.E.K. to provide support in developing the business case. As a result of our analysis, the client was able to develop a clear and detailed view of the investment potential and the appropriate business model.
- An original equipment manufacturer-producing hydroelectric plant asked L.E.K. to conduct an independent study focusing on the carbon/greenhouse gas footprint of the hydroelectric sector, in light of increasing controversy among NGOs and other parties around the fact that hydroelectricity is a strong contributor to GHGs by virtue of its methane production (CH4). We provided the client with an objective, independent life-cycle analysis of the hydroelectric sector’s GHG footprint, allowing the client to argue the case for hydro to the outside world.
- A global OEM that wanted to pursue the development of its solar strategy (CSP and PV) asked L.E.K. to assess the likely development of these market segments, the interest in developing these markets and technologies, and the recommended entry strategies. Our work provided the client — which was hesitant about whether to invest, and to what extent, given uncertainties in market timing and increasing competition in parts of the value chain — with greater confidence in making investment decisions regarding both timing and segment focus.