Freight and Logistics
From macro shifts such as the move toward miniaturization in packaging, to sector-specific trends such as the use of drones and autonomous technology in transport, the freight and logistics sector is undergoing disruption — and generating opportunities — on multiple levels. The disruption is being felt across all modes and market segments, up and down the value chain.
How we help
L.E.K. works with freight and logistics clients to help navigate a changing market and make critical investment decisions. We apply our extensive experience across parcels, containerized freight and bulk freight, to inform logistics, distribution, and delivery services in both B2B and B2C environments for clients including rail freight operators, trucking companies, third-party logistics providers, air freight operators, port operators, shipping companies, government bodies and investors.
Our sector specialists have a deep understanding of the key business challenges across the freight and logistics sector, where we regularly address some key challenges:
- How do we size the potential for international expansion and new market entry?
- What is the best network structure to adopt to support our business and deliver growth?
- How do we position for growth in a complex market with many moving parts?
- How do we organize to improve operational performance?
- How do we stay on top of — and best leverage — technological advances?
Examples of our work
To learn more about our logistics project experience, please refer to these case examples:
- Restructured a print media supply chain to drive cost reduction in the context of a market with a complex set of relationships and economic linkages. L.E.K. provided the client with input and guidance around its optimum strategy, and identified the key areas for implementation.
- Addressed market sizing for international (European) expansion and assessment of new market entry opportunities for a palletized network delivery service. L.E.K. provided a clear view on the best market opportunity and go-to-market strategy for the launch of the new business.
- Provided commercial and vendor due diligence for a range of national and international distributors, non-vessel-operating common carriers and logistics companies, in order to assist our clients in evaluating potential deals and successfully executing mergers and acquisitions.