Plan for a fast, clean and worthwhile break.
Divestiture, separation, carve-out, spinoff, liquidation. Whatever form it takes, selling a business asset has its pros and cons. On the one hand, it can help your business refocus on what it does best. It can also be a source of much-needed cash. And it might simply be time: Plenty of firms make acquisitions with an eye toward an exit when profitable.
On the other hand, selling can remove the chance to participate in future gains. (Even a faltering business might have some ways to turn around.) It can also disrupt overall cash flow. What’s more, the transactions themselves tend to be complicated — involving decisions about deal structure, costs, ongoing operations and more.
How we help
We help clients lay the groundwork for separating a business. As part of this, we work with you to:
- Realign your corporate portfolio to further company goals
- Evaluate the merits of divesting a particular asset
- Conduct due diligence on potential buyers
- Examine ways to increase the number of bidders
- Assess the sales value you can expect to achieve
- Provide data-driven support for tough buyer negotiations
- Anticipate the operational challenges of closing the deal
- Look ahead at market changes that might drive the need to divest
- Set up a purposeful framework for future divestitures — including regular evaluations of potential candidates and organized responses to unsolicited offers
- Manage the risk of a sales transaction
- Position the business to flourish after a sale
- Realize the highest possible value from divestitures