L.E.K. Consulting recently surveyed approximately 200 decision-makers across seven manufacturing industries to gain their perspectives on the near-term outlook for U.S.-based manufacturing. Key takeaways from our proprietary research include the following:
- Most U.S. manufacturers agree that increased growth and investment opportunities are on the horizon, despite some of the uncertainties related to global trade.
- Four out of five U.S. manufacturers are preparing for an increase in automation technology.
- However, a major issue looms: a lack of skilled workers to support the digital factories of the future.
- Workforce investments, not downsizing, are a priority for manufacturers as they prepare for automation advances.
- Internet of Things (IoT)-enabled products are piquing the interest of manufacturers, but most are still caught in early development stages.