Supply Chain and Production
With the fourth industrial revolution (Industry 4.0), technologies like AR/VR, analytics and data visualization tools, and digital twins are bringing new ways to enhance operations. That’s led to a rapid expansion of new tools (e.g., automation and data exchange in manufacturing) that organizations can use — or sell — to optimize supply chains as well as operational and manufacturing processes. Industry 4.0 is also prompting executives to rethink their status quo operating models. Understanding how to support existing capabilities with new tools and technology is critical to sustain market positioning, while maximizing efficiency and effectiveness to drive future growth.
How We Help
A successful digital supply chain and production strategy reflects the impact of disruptive technology to your industry and value chain, and prioritizes investments in order to support your company’s strategy and maximize ROI. We help you identify the key steps to transform your operations to meet the needs of tomorrow. Specifically, we work with you to:
- Prioritize opportunities to enhance your operational efficiency and effectiveness
- Identify technology trends that threaten your role in the value chain
- Determine the most attractive opportunities to use operational capabilities to access new markets
- Take advantage of greater computing power and advanced analytical tools to enhance operations (e.g., through predictive analytics)
- Collaborate with supply chain partners to innovate and create mutual value
- A clear understanding of where you can deploy new technologies in your operations
- The right investment balance that prioritizes the most effective digital tools and technologies to drive efficiency and effectiveness across your business
- A supply chain and production process modernized to meet future needs
- A large industrial automation provider engaged with L.E.K. Consulting to understand the global market for various process automation solutions as it considered the acquisition of a leading software vendor in the space. We evaluated the target provider’s position in the market with their on-premises and software as a service (SaaS) solutions, assessed the viability and synergy value of developing an integrated software solution with the client’s existing technology, and provided perspectives for integration strategies.
- We helped a leading multinational components supplier develop a long-term strategy roadmap by considering potential growth opportunities in additive manufacturing. We provided a robust estimate of the size and future growth of the market. After that, we outlined the value chains for multiple segments including the potential impact of emergent technology. Finally, we identified the most attractive market segments for the client and produced a list of 25+ hypotheses on the future of the additive manufacturing industry.
- A startup Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) solutions provider needed help bringing a new low-power wide area network product to market. We developed a detailed plan evaluating likely opportunities within specific subsegments. With this, the client could determine where to prioritize R&D and new business development activities, as well as which strategies would be most effective at achieving initial market-entry success. These efforts could lead to roughly $500 million in new market opportunities.