Healthcare is undergoing a huge transformation from a volume-based environment to a value-based environment, and while the focus has been on health systems and primary care providers, the shifting landscape is putting pressure on facility-based post-acute care (PAC) providers. There are several key trends affecting PAC providers including:
- Negotiated rates below government fee-for-service rates
- Increases in utilization management
- Diversions to lower-cost care settings
- Demands for higher-quality measurement tracking tools
- Increased emphasis on integrated care management
While the degree of urgency varies by geographic market, L.E.K. advises that doing business as usual will not be helpful for PAC providers in the longer term. In this Executive Insights, we outline four strategies for PAC providers to consider in order to survive and thrive in this changing value-based care environment.